A while ago Marilla Walker hosted a fabric swap with a difference. The fabric was to be printed by the swappers and had to be 1m in length!
I did some sampling before deciding what my eventual design would be. The cage, love and flower prints on these first samples were made with stamps using normal stamping ink. Unfortunately, these weren't colourfast, so weren't suitable for this project and I didn't want to have to buy fabric paint, which I may never use again. So I decided to try fabric ink pens and used these for the various line designs on the remainder of this sample.
I decided that the more graphic style was for me. As a bit of a cheat I decided to used some checked fabric, which made the design process easier. These are my first samples. The pen I've used for this fabric isn't specifically for fabric, but it is a permanent ink, so it is washable, and it doesn't bleed on the fabric.
This is my completed metre of fabric.
I also added a couple of little pressies with fabric, a pincushion, needlecase and lavender heart.
My partner was Bea and she printed flowers (she used her finger to do the flower centres!) onto green fabric for me. One of the things I love about this is that it's unique. Even if Bea did it again, it wouldn't be exactly the same. Also, no-one else has this fabric either. I've not finally decided what I'm going to use the fabric for yet, but I may try a simple skirt. I'll let you know. She enclosed a lemon and lime bracelet in my parcel too.
I really enjoyed the drawing onto fabric, so I'll be doing more in the future.