Monday 24 October 2011

Making cards

I've been making cards for birthdays and christmas for years as I like to give people cards that they'll not receive from anyone else. Plus I just like making things!


Initial C birthday card.
'The history bit' (thanks to Wikipedia).
The custom of sending greeting cards can be traced back to the ancient Chinese who exchanged messages of good will to celebrate the New Year, and to the early Egyptians, who conveyed their greetings on papyrus scrolls. By the early 15th century, handmade paper greeting cards were being exchanged in Europe and handmade paper Valentines were being exchanged in various parts of Europe in the early to mid-15th century

By the 1850s, the greeting card had been transformed from a relatively expensive, handmade and hand-delivered gift to a popular and affordable means of personal communication, due largely to advances in printing, mechanization, and the introduction of the postage stamp. This was followed by new trends like christmas cards and the mass production of greeting cards.

Floral heart birthday cards.
Currently.
You can now buy christmas cards in all shapes in and sizes from high street shops, online shops where you can personalise your cards and the many numbers of people who make their cards, like me, for themselves. Many of these people sell their cards and I would encourage you to support these makers. Many charities also raise funds through christmas cards especially,  so they're also worth supporting.

Purple cat birthday card.
Back to me.
As well as giving someone and unique card, a handmade card shows, I think that you've taken that extra time to design and make it for a specific person. Plus many of my cards have been framed by the recipients, so they're more like a present.

Knitted flower birthday card.
Now, before I get shouted at by those people who can't or aren't able to make their own cards, I don't think that their choices are not personal etc. There are some lovely cards out there, I've received a good few of them, I just like to make my own.

JTH 70th birthday card.




Big occasion cards.

Shirley 70th birthday card.

Over the past few years my family has celebrated a few big birthdays and anniversaries.  In 2008, there was my Dad's 70th birthday. I made my first concertina card for him for that (see JTH card above).


My Mum's 70th was in the following year
and her card  was another concertina one (see 'Shirley' card below). These cards allow me to make a bit more of 'splash' and have photos as well as the embroidery and work on them.


Golden wedding anniversary card.




Christmas cards.
Some of the christmas cards that I make, also allow me to give a small present as I attach handmade christmas decorations to them. To make posting easier I use the flat felt christmas decorations that I make (see right). Any of my handmade christmas decorations can go on a card if they're being hand delivered.
With christmas only being a couple of months away, I'll be starting on making my christmas cards soon. If you don't have time to make your own you can still send a small present with your cards by slipping one of the Elsie May and Bertha decorations inside (more flat felt decorations will be added to the shop soon).

Whose cards will you be sending this christmas?

TTFN
Louise.





No comments:

Post a Comment