Tuesday, 22 September 2015

In progress.

I've been quite busy working on a number of different things in the last couple of weeks. I have finished a couple of things that I'll share when I have time to download the photos from my camera. In the meantime I thought I'd share some photos of works in progress from my my tablet.

The very first stage of creating a new design sheet.

The image on the right is of a sandstone wall The pad on the left has my rough sketches recreating a sandstone block using different media i.e. pencils, fine liner and Pitt artist's pens and soft pastels. This is part of the same project that the design sheet above is for.  

My travelling sewing tin that currently contains the bits and pieces for me to make felt brooches.

These two photos are of fabrics cut for a couple of mini quilts. 

Various bits and pieces, pincushions, lavender sachets etc, ready to be stuffed.

A pile of cut out fabric hearts waiting to be sewn.

Hopefully,  the next time you see what's in these photos they'll all be completed!


Monday, 14 September 2015

Text mini quilt.

My second mini quilt.  I found this one quite difficult to do, I think it was because of the text fabric we had to use. I had a problem finding fabric with text on it that I liked and if I did it again I'd use a couple more fabrics along with the text ones.

I used a a simple triangle design for the text fabric, with bands of patterned fabric around the outside.  I used vintage mother of pearl buttons to tie the the quilt together. 

Saturday, 5 September 2015

An art book on the subject of text.

I recently made a mini quilt for a swap,  which had to made from at least two different fabrics that had text as part of there design.  I'll show you that next time, but first, I'd like to show you one of the extras I made for my partner - a little art book with a text theme. I got the idea from Karen Ruane, who has been making art books on her blog recently and I wanted to have a go at one myself and this swap gave me the perfect excuse. 

I made the pages from watercolour paper and used a mixture of images from magazines,  pages from books, photos of some of my artwork, stickers and die cut letters, along with a bit of embroidery, pen work and tied on buttons. 

I've also left blank areas for the recipient to add their own little drawings or images etc.

The pages were sewn together using mercerised cotton thread.

I really enjoyed making this one, so I think I'll be making more.


Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Wedding anniversary cards

These are the latest wedding anniversary cards that I've made. I used decorative papers, images of vintage cards, flowers cut out from a magazine, wrapping paper and fabric, vintage ribbon and embellishments onto coloured card.

You can contact me via email at elsiemayandbertha@virginmedia.com if you'd like something similar made for you.