Thursday, 23 June 2016

A silk strappy top

I don't often make clothes. I'm much more of a hand sewer than a machine one, but this top is relatively simple and the 'difficult bits', like hemming etc could be done by hand. 

I can't really remember where I got this silk fabric from, but it was probably a charity shop. The pattern I used was for a shorts and top pyjama combo that I got free with a magazine and was designed by The Makery. I used the pattern to put together the top, but I had to change the straps because I couldn't use the method in the pattern as I didn't know how long they needed to be. 

So I decided on attempting adjustable straps, which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! I looked up a how to on Google and, though I had to resort to taking the bra off I was wearing to finish the last bit, didn't take me too long.

The lace I used across the bottom edge was vintage English cotton trim that I got from The Swagman's Daughter (she has some fantastic stuff, including vintage Italian thread and lots more lace!).

For a really amateur clothes maker, it turned out quite well, and my sister liked it, which was the important thing.

I'll be back on Saturday to show you what I've been making with bits of paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment