Tuesday 29 November 2016

An embroidered Christmas tree hanging decoration









This decoration came about after I'd been looking at primitive and folk art themed items on Pinterest. The dark cream and dull red gingham, along with the plain linen-mix fabric are a perfect match for that kind of style. I drew the pattern for the tree straight onto the fabric, stitched it and then appliqued a small piece of check fabric to serve as the pot for the tree.

For the left-hand side, I printed the 'Happy Christmas' onto a piece of fabric and attached this to the gingham with blanket stitch using vintage rayon thread. The little heart is made from felt and attached with running stitch. 

To cover the join between the two different types of background fabric I added a strip of beige and cream ric rac that I attached with a zig zag overstitch and added french knots at each point.

I've backed the whole thing with a cream and red striped fabric, with some wadding in between to add a bit of structure to the hanging. I then added a running stitch border around each of the two halves of the hanger.

I've used a heart-themed braid, that is attached with tied on vintage mother of pearl buttons, to enable the decoration to be hung up.

This decoration is now available in my Etsy store. Orders placed between 28th November and 25th December on either my Etsy store or Folksy store, will entitle you to a free gift of either a lavender heart or a length (approx 1.5m) of mini paper bunting. Indicate your preference in the notes box when you place an order.

I hope everyone has had a good start to the week, I can't believe how close we are to Christmas Day, it's less than a month away!

TTFN
Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment